Trying to lose weight can be very frustrating, especially if you are not aware of all the factors that may be affecting your metabolism. If you exercise enough and eat a healthy balanced diet and are still not losing weight then consider the following health issues as they may be affecting your weight:
The hormone oestrogen is known to affect the storage of body fat and can suppress thyroid function. There are a number of hormones within the body that can affect appetite and energy use. To keep a good hormonal balance within the body:
• Balance blood sugar, it is an important factor in balancing your hormone levels. To balance hormones it is important to ensure you are eating a healthy diet.
• Take a quality multi-vitamin to help support the bodies many systems.
• Take an essential fatty acid. Essential fats are the building blocks for many hormones.
Water is essential to maintain a healthy weight. Without enough water your body cannot eliminate the toxins you are exposed to from the environment or in food. Some studies have shown results in weight loss just by including water in the diet (1-2 litres per day).
• As a guide drink 6-8 glasses of water per day, more if you are a large person, exercise or sweat a lot.
• Use a healthy drinks container to carry your water such as an Ecotanka and avoid exposure to the many toxins contained in plastic drink bottles such as BisphenolA that can affect hormone balance and increase toxicity levels. Using a stainless steel drink container is also a great way to prevent the unnecessary pollution of our planet.
The liver is the body’s main organ for detoxification. Regular bowel movements carry waste products out of the body. The liver plays an important role in maintaining a good blood sugar balance as well as recycling and eliminating hormones. Imbalanced blood sugar levels and oestrogen imbalance can contribute to weight gain.
To minimise and/or reduce toxicity:
• Eat a variety of at least 5 vegetables per day to obtain the many nutrients that help support detoxification as well as providing fibre for regular bowel movements.
• Support the liver and digestion with liver support products such as Ethical Nutrients Liver Detox and Support.
• Encourage regular bowel movements with one of the excellent products from Lifestream’s Bowel Biotics range.
• If you think a detox regime may help an excellent one is Lifestream Cleanse Kit.
Blood Sugar Balance
The body requires 1-2 teaspoon of sugar in its circulating blood. Therefore a diet high in sugar and/or refined food puts a huge strain on the metabolism. Often blood sugar put under pressure in this way will start to see-saw. Stable blood sugar is critical for any weight loss plan.
What can you do to help:
• Eat healthy snacks/meals 4/5 times per day. Each one to include protein and complex carbohydrates.
• Take a supplement that contains chromium. Chromium may help with weight loss as it enhances the action of insulin and food metabolism. One such as Ethical Nutrients Chromium Sugar Balance.