Asthma is increasingly common in children. The figures for children with Asthma have doubled in the last 15 years. Asthma is an inflammatory and/or allergic condition that affects the lungs. During an asthma attack the lungs go into a spasm, the mucus lining swells and produces an excessive amount of thick mucus making it harder to breathe. This reaction is caused by a histamine release.
- Deficiency of B vitamins, magnesium and antioxidants
- Stress – emotional or physical
- Excessive salt intake
- Allergy to pollens, animal dander, moulds or dust mites
- Cold air, cigarettes, fumes, aspirin, chemicals
- Poor gut bacteria balance
- Food intolerances – most common are eggs, wheat, cow’s milk, yeast, peanuts, fish
- Probiotics – Gut bacteria can be out of balance following prescribed anti-biotics, periods of illness or in children as a result of a cesaerian birth.
- A good quality children’s multi vitamin and mineral will ensure a small dose of all the essential vitamins and minerals. This will help to ‘safety net’ any deficiencies or extra needs that a child may have.
- Essential Fatty Acid Supplements – Increasing Omega 3 essential fatty acid intake may help with respiratory function due to the anti-inflammatory effect of an increased ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6.
- Antioxidants – All anti-oxidants such as Vitamin E, Carotenes, Flavanoids, Zinc and Selenium are important for healthy lungs. Low levels have been linked to increased asthma attacks.
- Vitamin C – A study of asthmatic children who were given 1000mg of vitamin c each day for 2 weeks had substantially less asthma attacks compared to those given a placebo. Vitamin C is the main anti-oxidant involved in protecting and maintaining the health of the airway’s surfaces.
- Magnesium – Has a relaxing action that is thought to have a beneficial effect on asthma by relaxing the bronchial muscle.
- Harkers Cough Syrups – Lobelia extract can help relieve asthma attacks as it works on the body to relax the smooth muscles of the bronchial tubes. Asthma 642 Lung Elixir is recommended for acute asthma and Asthma 985 Emphysemol for chronic asthma.
- Allergy Research Oralmat – Oralmat contains rye grass that has been shown to help asthma sufferers reduce the number of asthma attacks and their severity. Rye grass contains tryptophan that acts as a relaxant, zinc to support the immune system and magnesium to help relax muscles and support the immune system.